To all of our wonderful lemonade stand hosts, volunteers, sponsors and supporters everywhere, we want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!
As we prepare to give thanks tomorrow, we thought it would only be appropriate (and fun!) to ask some of our staff members what they are thankful for this year. Check out the video below for their answers, some of which may surprise you.
Of course, it goes without saying, that everyone at Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation is thankful for your continued support, and the solidarity you have shown in the battle against childhood cancer. So once again, THANK YOU!
We would love to hear what you are thankful for this year too! Comment on this post or send us a tweet to let us know what you will be giving thanks for tomorrow.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
To steal a line from a review of the event, there was nothing sour about the inaugural L.A. Loves Alex’s Lemonade culinary event that took place on Sunday, November 7 at Culver Studios. The weather was perfect, the food was delicious, the attendees were generous, and most importantly, the event raised a significant amount of awareness and funds for Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation and the battle against childhood cancer!
When Sunday finally arrived, it was hard to believe that the event was already upon us. It seems like only yesterday that the concept was born, and now here we were! We awoke that morning to a beautiful day - the sun was shining and we knew it would be the perfect day to enjoy fantastic fare and fundraising! By noon, all of the chefs were ready, when the gates opened a flood of people entered and we were underway. As often happens at these events both Jay and I spent the majority of the time talking to attendees, thanking everyone, telling the story of Alex, and occasionally sampling the food. The food was unreal by the way, and what made it even more special was the fact that every single chef there donated their time, food and efforts to the cause.
In addition to all the chefs in attendance, we were thrilled to have Honorary Chair Jennifer Garner there and Jim Belushi acted as our emcee. We have to take this time to mention that Jim’s participation really did bring this event full circle – he had met Alex a couple of years in a row at the Volvo for Life Awards, and was truly inspired by her determination and courage. When he was speaking of Alex to the crowd throughout the afternoon, it was evident that he truly believed in the cause, and that he was proud to continue Alex’s legacy – a big thank you to him. Several other TV stars joined us, including Timothy Olyphant from The Office, Modern Family’s Nolan Gould, Connie Britton of Friday Night Lights, Radio Disney star Daphne Blunt, and young actress Bailee Madison from Bridge to Terabithia. Jimmy Kimmel, who it turns out is a friend of chef Chris Bianco, also stopped by the event and even helped Chris plate his antipasto! Finally, the producers of ABC’s Cougar Town, which is filmed at Culver Studios, were so inspired that they donated two walk-on roles to the live auction!
We could go on for hours and hours about how amazing this event was, but instead, we invite you to join us at next year’s event! The inaugural event raised over $300,000 and we are looking forward to seeing that number jump in 2011!
Thank you to everyone.
- Chris Bianco (Phoenix, AZ) – Pizzeria Bianco (http://www.pizzeriabianco.com)
- Giada De Laurentiis (Los Angeles, CA) – Giada at Home, Food Network (http://www.giadadelaurentiis.com)
- Neal Fraser (Los Angeles, Ca) – Grace (www.gracerestaurant.com
- Suzanne Goin (Los Angeles, CA) – Lucques, AOC, Tavern (http://www.lucques.com)
- Maria Hines (Seattle, WA) – Tilth (http://www.tilthrestaurant.com)
- Paul Kahan (Chicago, IL) – Blackbird, avec, The Publican (http://thepublicanrestaurant.com)
- Tony Keene (West Hollywood, CA) – Gordon Ramsay at the London West Hollywood (http:// www.gordonramsay.com/gratthelondonwh)
- David Lentz (Los Angeles, CA) – The Hungry Cat (http://www.thehungrycat.com)
- Donald Link (New Orleans, LA) – Cochon (http://www.cochonrestaurant.com)
- Joseph Manzare (San Francisco, CA) – Globe (http://globerestaurant.com)
- Russell Moore (Oakland, CA) – Camino (http://www.caminorestaurant.com)
- Zoe Nathan (Santa Monica, CA) – Huckleberry (http://www.huckleberrycafe.com)
- Christina Olufson (Los Angeles, CA) – Lucques (http://www.lucques.com)
- Judy Rodgers (San Francisco, CA) – Zuni (http://www.zunicafe.com)
- Nancy Silverton (Los Angeles, CA) – Osteria Mozza (http://www.mozza-la.com)
- Susan Spicer (New Orleans, LA) – Bayona (http://www.bayona.com)
- Johnathan Sundstrom (Seattle, WA) – Lark, Licorous (http://www.larkseattle.com)
- David Tanis (Berkeley, CA) - Chez Panisse (http://www.chezpanisse.com)
- Michael Tusk (San Francisco, CA) – Quince (http://www.quincerestaurant.com)
- Breanne Varela (Los Angeles, CA) – Tavern (http://www.tavernla.com/)
- Marc Vetri (Philadelphia, PA) – Amis, Osteria, Vetri (http://www.vetriristorante.com)
- Jonathan Waxman (New York, NY) – Barbuto (http://www.barbutonyc.com)
- Lou Amdur (Los Angeles, CA) – Lou (www.louonvine.com)
- Eric Alperin (Los Angeles, CA) – The Varnish (http://www.thevarnishbar.com)
- Bar Agricole (San Fransisco, CA) – Bar Agricole (http://www.baragricole.com)
- Neal Bodenheimer (New Orleans, LA) – Cure (http://www.curenola.com)
- Caroline Styne (Los Angeles, CA) – Lucques, AOC, Tavern (http://www.lucques.com)
- Tim Staehling (Los Angeles, CA) – The Hungry Cat (http://www.thehungrycat.com)
- Lang & Reed
- Topanga Vineyards
- Jorian Hill
- Elizabeth Spencer
- Brown Estate
- Baker Lane
- Laird Winery
- Villa Creek
- La Fenetre
- Gimenez Rilli
- The Prisoner
- Right Hand Man
- A Tribute to Grace
- Martian Vineyards
Wines from the portfolios of:
- Sandy Garber of Garber & Co.
- Katherine Strange of Strange Wines
- Diane C Harder Wine Marketing
- Hollywood & Wine
- North Berkeley Imports
- Kermit Lynch Imports
- Rare Wine Company
- Regal Wine Company
- Revel Wines
- Sierra Nevada
- Grey Goose Vodka
- Philadelphia Distilling (Bluecoat Gin, Vieux Carré Absinthe)
- Southern Wine & Spirits (Flor de Caña rum)
- Tito’s Vodka
Monday, November 8, 2010
We love our special events at Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, and Casino Night at the Jason Matthew Salon in Philadelphia was no exception. With over 300 attendees, including some very special celebrity guests, the event was able to raise over $5,000 and most importantly brought supporters of ALSF together for a fun-filled night! Among the personalities who came out to show their support - CBS 3’s Chris May, NBC 10’s LuAnn Cahn and John Clark, ABC 6’s Nydia Han, Fox 29’s Mike Jerrick and Comcast SportsNet’s Dei Lynam.
On Sunday, November 14, 2010, the Lemon Run, sponsored by Volvo, will return for its second annual event. Moving venues to Memorial Hall in Fairmount Park, the Lemon Run will invite runners and walkers to complete a 5K for the cause. There will also be a kids’ race, music and entertainment, and medals will be awarded to the top male and female finishers in several age categories. Registration is only $25 per person, and $10 for those 12 and under until November 10, 2010. Additionally, if you are not in the Philadelphia area, you can still participate by signing up as a virtual runner and completing a 5K in your neighborhood the same day! For more information, or to register today, visit www.TheLemonRun.com.